Need a hardy main course dish, filled with mouth-watering flavors? This Lentil Walnut Loaf is for you! This dish is especially recommended for holiday celebrations and potlucks and is definitely rich in nutrients like protein. This is a delicious recipe from Jewish Veg member Mark Reinfeld from his website, VeganFusion.com.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the rice, water, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt in a pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat to a simmer, and cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the coconut oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 1 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and celery and cook for two minutes, stirring frequently. Add the mushrooms and cook for five minutes, stirring frequently and adding a small amount of water, if necessary, to prevent sticking.
4. Place the lentils, rolled oats, walnuts, and water or stock in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to the pan along with the remaining ingredients, including the cooked rice and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, and mix well. Taste and add additional salt or tamari to taste, if necessary.
5. Transfer to a lightly oiled or parchment paper-lined 8 by 4-inch loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.